Great at exams, bad at my job, don't know what to do

mercredi 25 février 2015

A bit of background: I graduated from college in May of 2014, spammed out resumes for three months, worked odd jobs, and got a job with a fairly large P&C insurer, where I've been for the past seven months. This job was my first "real" job out of college - nothing before that except for a one-month long internship in an unrelated field. I came into my job with no real experience in Excel, SAS or any other technical stuff.



I'm having issues with this first job - there are a lot of little details in sending out rate reviews and getting things out on time. Most of my newer coworkers seem to have adjusted fine, but I'm struggling to adjust to an office environment. In addition, my attention to detail is mediocre at best - I consistently copy-paste things where I shouldn't, forget to fill in fields and miss deadlines where I shouldn't.



My exam studying has been going excellently - since getting the job, I've passed ST, LC and C on the first try. I've never had any problems passing exams - P and FM were also passed on the first try. I'd like to try MFE in July - however, due to my lackluster performance, my boss has told me to hold off on taking exams for the time being until my work performance improves. :crying: I don't know whether or not to take that advice - among people who have been at the office for a while, about half of them (including my boss) quit taking exams and seem to be doing just fine.



Is it a good idea to stop taking exams and focus on my work, or will my exams do more for me in the long run than my work progress at my current job? Do P&C employers tend to be less focused on having employees pass exams - and if my employer doesn't care much whether or not I focus on exams or something else, is that a bad thing? :-? If I'm great at theoretical stuff (passing exams) but not so great at technical stuff (my job), should I switch to another company/life/health/grad school/something that isn't actuarial work?





Great at exams, bad at my job, don't know what to do

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor