Klaymen avoids sugar

mercredi 15 octobre 2014

So I watched the documentary "Fed Up" which talks about how much sugar is in stuff. (Maybe I already spoke about this in another thread, but it deserves its own here)

I admit I seemed to like sweet cereals for breakfast that weren't advertised as overtly sugary. For example, in was not unusual to eat up to 4 servings of Special K Fruit & Yogurt cereal plus milk in the morning. I decided for the first time to read the sugar content on the label and calculated I was consuming at least 50g of sugar (approximately equal to two candy bars) in the morning. :yikes:



Surely multi-grain cheerios would be much better. 6g per serving x 4 servings = 24g + 1 cup of milk = 34g. A little better, but still rather sugary. How about plain cheerios? Much better, only 1g per serving (my son is a stick, he eats it plain without milk). But I had a sugar shaker to adequately coat the top of a bland cereal like that. If I had a large bowl of oatmeal, I wanted 2.5 tablespoons (about 30g) of brown sugar to bring it to the desired taste. So I guess I was a lover of sugar without realizing it.



1 cup of milk? 10-11g.

1 yogurt? 15+g.

Generous quantity of jelly in my PBJ sandwiches for lunch? 15-20g

Mini Reese cup for dessert after dinner? 5-6g.

Occasional bowl of ice cream once a week? 20-30g

cup of juice/cider? 20-30g.

1/2 c of spaghetti sauce? 6-9g (This one isn't going away soon, but I'll stick to the 6g versions)

:yikes:



I would eat breakfast before 7am and would be into my lunch by 10:30. I would always feel hungry. No wonder, maybe it's obvious to the rest of you, but I couldn't understand why I was always hungry and always eating. (I had been hovering around the 222-225 lb range in the last couple months)



I decided to trim back on the sugar as much as possible, allowing myself still all the carbs and pasta I want, but making them whole wheat whenever possible. Fruit is better for you, because despite offering some amount of sugar, you get fiber and other stuff as well.



So now in the morning my breakfast is one banana and either 1-2 whole wheat bagels with a light coating of cream cheese or 3-4 pieces of whole wheat bread/toast with a light coating of low-sugar peanut butter. I ate other stuff as usual just no obvious sugar with the exception of a small piece of white chocolate (3g) after dinner.



The result? I do find myself a lot less hungry. I was pretty close to 220 around my birthday (9/29) at which point I was just getting started making these changes, and two weeks later I'm in the 216-217 zone. It has been pretty effortless, I haven't done any additional exercise - just the typical neighborhood walk a few times per week. I am amazed how different I feel hunger-wise.



These documentaries condemn sugar like other more henious drugs. I assume it's a lot easier to stop eating sugar than taking other drugs. But without realizing what I was doing, I was certainly consuming a lot of the stuff. With the potential for easy weight loss and better health, I am easily going to avoid the apple crisp brought in today and the donuts that will be brought in tomorrow. (I'm right next to the food cube)





Klaymen avoids sugar

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor