Question about deducting moving expenses on tax return

dimanche 19 avril 2015

Okay my first question is more about the 'who can deduct moving expenses' requirements. I skimmed the IRS Publication 521, but I wanted to ask here because people like duke should be an expert in this subject.



Okay so I didn't actually move due to changing jobs. I moved because I'm a cheap actuary and was given the opportunity to live at MIL's house for next to nothing, so I had to jump on the deal. Also, I absolutely I learned that I hate living in a big city and would rather be in podunk. So I'm basically trying to bend the rules to get my moving expenses deductible. Here's the cliffs.

-I lived in LA and on the org chart worked in my company's LA office on the LG pricing team. I worked from home in my apartment in LA full-time, but on the org chart it said the office.

-In let's say March 2015 I'm still on the LG pricing team, but my location on the org chart changed to CAOPW. So that basically means anywhere in CA.

-In April 2015 I'm still on the LG pricing team, but I moved to some podunky town with I think 6k people in northern CA.



So my location on the org chart changed, and 1 month afterwards I moved. So that looks legit, but I never actually changed jobs. The 'place' of my new location is OPW so that's anywhere in CA, or the podunky town I moved to, for example.



What do you guys think. Can I pull this off? What if I take another job in the company within the next month or so that's also CAOPW. Will that help my guess? I'd say about 1000-1500 in moving expenses x 25% is at stake.



I did pretty good on the move. Paid 400 for the moving truck, another 400 for some guys to move my shit into the moving truck, 250 in gas for truck+my car, 75 in moving supplies. I also want to get my car deep cleaned because of the move, and would like to deduct that if I can? Also, what about some estimate of oil on my next oil change for 500 miles? Am I overthinking this... What I really want to do is figure out what the average cost for a normal person of moving 500 miles and just deduct that number, which is probably 3000-4000.



The more I think about this the "location" of my job changed, and one month later I moved there... Tax deductible, end of story.





Question about deducting moving expenses on tax return

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor