Taking MFE before FM?

vendredi 29 août 2014

Hello all,



To get straight to the point, I was planning to take the MFE sitting in November and FM in December rather than Oct/Nov. I wanted to hear people's feedbacks on how much FM material is needed as a prereq to MFE. Before majority of you jump the gun and plan on telling me I should take FM first and how much MFE is harder, please hear me out.



Some background on me:

I have pretty extensive knowledge on derivatives. I know quite a lot about options, futures, swaps, etc, having been really into finance and traded in markets. I can do the math quite easily. What I DON'T know/feel quite confident about is interest theory; this is referring to topics such as annuities, amortizations, interest theory, etc (essentially the 1st half of FM material).



I also took a class in stochastic calculus. I can't say I'm a complete expert, but I do know how to deal with Ito's Lemma, can tell you properties of Brownian Motion, Black-Scholes, etc. I'm going to assume the exam itself will of course, not be completely identical to what I've learned in class, but probably have additional material I will need to brush up on.



In short, I felt that I have a very sound foundation for MFE more than FM. The reason I'd rather delay FM is for scheduling purposes (balancing schoolwork, other personal life plans, etc) and because of the impression that FM has a lot of content that I am not too familiar with, in the sense that there's a lot of mind-numbing calculations that are all plug and chug. If this thought matters at all, I much preferred the problem-solving nature of Exam P than the memorizing large volume of material of Exam FM.



Apologize for the long post. Would appreciate any thoughts and feedback. Please let me know if I made any wrong assumptions.





Taking MFE before FM?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor