Corporate laptop refresh. Ugh!

mardi 25 novembre 2014

So two years ago I got a Dell Latitude laptop from work. i5,128GB SSD, crappy 1368x768 resolution. Whatever. I usually have it docked and work on my dual 24s, and the SSD was kind of nice at the time. A little small, but still better than a pokey turntable.



Two years later I'm due for a refresh and what am I getting? The EXACT SAME BUILD, just with a slightly faster, Haswell i5. This is one of the largest commercial Dell lease accounts in the country (maybe the world). What the hell kind of morons spec 128GB SSDs in 2014/2015? This is for a fleet of tens of thousands of laptops, from the "developer" builds, right up to the executive specs (Those are HP elitebooks, but still with a crappy 128GB SSD). The only thing they seem to vary across the fleet is the CPU, resolution, and RAM.



Without getting into details, I actually have work related needs for a lot more space. I usually end up wasting a couple hours per week deleting files to make room for the current project, then redownloading data and reconstructing the files I had to delete. And no, there isn't a good way to do everything on the servers. At least not with the storage spaces I have privileges on.



Why are people this stupid? I mean sure, it would be nice if everybody could keep everything on the servers, but they are always in the middle of a platform migration somewhere. But who even BUYS 128GB SSDs any more? Seriously?!?!?!?! Can I get a 512 or even just a 256 up in here?



Oh, and what's up with the 768 resolution persisting on laptops? It's getting hard to find a phone with a resolution that lame any more. You can't actually get any real work done on these screens, people! I was rocking Windows 3.1 twenty years ago at 1280x1024. Get some real screens, morans!



:rant:





Corporate laptop refresh. Ugh!

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor