Cover Letter/Cold Email Critique

samedi 29 novembre 2014

I don't like this, I just wrote this up fairly quickly today. I have a list of actuaries ready to email, so now I just need my cold email write-up/cover letter critiqued. Go nuts with this. I feel like I wrote too much of a novel, but I wanted to get my story across. I also feel like it's too "cookie-cutter" and obviously mass-emailed.



Dear ________,



I am writing to you after finding your contact information on the SOA directory. I am a May 2013 graduate from the OBVIOUSLY SUPERIOR UNIVERSITY in AWESOME CITY, NOT-SO-TROPIC STATE with a B.S. in actuarial science. I have passed two exams (P and FM) and am sitting for MFE in March of 2015.



I have attached my resume to this email as a reference to help you better understand my story. After passing my second exam, I became very interested in the world of commercial real estate and pursued a job with COMPANY NAME Commercial Real Estate, where I currently work as a research analyst. It was a goal of mine to become a commercial real estate broker, but after spending roughly nine months in the industry, I have decided I want to get back on the exam track and pursue my career as an actuary, instead.



As a research analyst, I believe I have accumulated many skills that align closely with the skill set of an entry-level actuary. I have experience in Excel, various programming languages, data collection/analyzing, and report writing. I have chosen to reach out to you because the (P/C, health, consulting) branch of actuarial science interests me most because _____. (I will mention here that I am willing to relocate if it is an out-of-state location)



If you are aware of any entry-level actuarial opportunities within (X Company), I would be very grateful to be informed.



Kind regards,



MY PRONE-TO-MISPELLING NAME HERE





Also - totally unrelated but I can't justify starting a new thread for this:



Is being a recreational musician resume-worthy? I've heard that some recruiters eat this up, but others think it's completely unnecessary. It's not a form of income by any means (unless someone is feeling generous enough to pay me for playing at their wedding).



Thanks guys. :taco:



Edit - there are formatting issues that will be fixed when I actually send out the email.





Cover Letter/Cold Email Critique

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor