Got fired -- now what?

lundi 8 décembre 2014

I got fired today after 7 months at a new job (this is my second actuarial job, but all new responsibilities). I sort of saw it coming last week after I got an email from a VP telling me that my work was not on par with my salary, but I was not really expecting to get canned right away. Anyway, I was told right off the bat during my meeting today that I was fired, so I kind of went into shock; however, this is what I remember my boss saying:



- We don't see you as having a future here

- We don't like your demeanor

- It gives me heartburn to try to help you

- The consensus is that we would prefer you gone before the busy season



I am generally a quiet guy. I don't offend people with my words. I work all day and don't waste time socializing. I'm naturally introverted, but if someone stopped by, I would chat with them kindly. Basically, I just respect people, mind my own business, and try to get work done.



This was a small firm -- a mom and pop shop. This firm gave me a sizeable raise during my 90-day performance review. They were happy with my performance. However, everything after that seemed to disintegrate. I don't drink and am OCD about my health, so I didn't participate in the birthday party cake eating that occurred once or twice a month. I skipped the Christmas party on Saturday, and I think that was the final straw from the owner's perspective. Basically, I feel like I was fired for not being social and refusing to imbibe -- my work product is not amazing, but it is also not abysmal. I only have 4 years of experience total, so I am still learning a lot.



This firm also did some sketchy things that made me uncomfortable -- decorated my office while I was at lunch using pictures and sculptures of weird stuff (pokemon, dogs, etc). Also, I got injured while participating in a sporting event, and the owner told me to put more effort like that into my work and accused me of not being dedicated to my work like I was my sport -- wtf? I NEVER communicated my unhappiness with these transgressions, but damn, it was a little much.



At my last job, a large insurance firm, I did well. I got my FSA quickly. I didn't get the outgoing award, but my contributions were appreciated. I took this new job to try something new, and I got kicked in the nuts. Due to geographical preferences, I can't relocate too far. I do not want my old job back.



I am looking for:

- HONEST insight into how I possibly could have done things differently

- What the hell to do now (i.e. how to find a job and QUICKLY)

- How did I go from a stellar review at 3 months to fired by 7?





Got fired -- now what?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor