So right before I left on a trip this weekend, my windows7 goes all blue screen of death on me. Usually after 5-10 reboots it returns, but even plugging something in a USB port can set it off.
It must be something with a driver, because I went to do a reinstall and put in the Windows7 disc and when I got to the first screen my keyboard and mouse were unresponsive (despite being able to use them at the BIOS screens and when Windows finally decides to work normally). I did hear tales of this happening when I googled it, but I wasn't sure I was going to bother trying to implement the solution since that won't necessarily fix the cause, maybe just some symptoms.
So how to get around this? I realize that one solution is to install Ubuntu (which I have looked at every 2 years ago and never adopted for fear of losing windows compatibility) in order to wipe Windows, then reinstall windows. But while doing that, I instead opted for a dual-boot solution so I can make sure my files are safe, and test run Ubuntu.
And Ubuntu doesn't seem so bad I guess, just different. I can still get in my home Excel and Word files. Seems like I should be able to do most anything. The only thing I can't do yet is iTunes. I do have an iPod that I use a lot and am pretty happy with my setup, so the options seem to be run some sort of emulator, or just wean myself off of iTunes altogether, or run it occasionally on another home computer instead.
If I like Ubuntu and decide to stick with it, I will reinstall and purge Windows completely (since it is currently unstable)
So my question for you is this: please share your experiences with a Linux-based O/S and look farther out for me. What will I miss? What will I like?
It must be something with a driver, because I went to do a reinstall and put in the Windows7 disc and when I got to the first screen my keyboard and mouse were unresponsive (despite being able to use them at the BIOS screens and when Windows finally decides to work normally). I did hear tales of this happening when I googled it, but I wasn't sure I was going to bother trying to implement the solution since that won't necessarily fix the cause, maybe just some symptoms.
So how to get around this? I realize that one solution is to install Ubuntu (which I have looked at every 2 years ago and never adopted for fear of losing windows compatibility) in order to wipe Windows, then reinstall windows. But while doing that, I instead opted for a dual-boot solution so I can make sure my files are safe, and test run Ubuntu.
And Ubuntu doesn't seem so bad I guess, just different. I can still get in my home Excel and Word files. Seems like I should be able to do most anything. The only thing I can't do yet is iTunes. I do have an iPod that I use a lot and am pretty happy with my setup, so the options seem to be run some sort of emulator, or just wean myself off of iTunes altogether, or run it occasionally on another home computer instead.
If I like Ubuntu and decide to stick with it, I will reinstall and purge Windows completely (since it is currently unstable)
So my question for you is this: please share your experiences with a Linux-based O/S and look farther out for me. What will I miss? What will I like?
Tell me about using Ubuntu
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire