How to solve for growth rate in geometric annuities

mardi 10 mars 2015

Dear friends, this is the problem I am facing now:



I have to determine the value of j, of a geometric progression that goes like this:



payments: 4 4(1+j) 4(1+j)^2 ....... 4(1+j)^19

Time : 0 1 2 3 ........ 20



where the payment of 4 is made at time 1 and the payment of 4(1+j)^19 is made at time 20. I am given that the periodic interest rate i = 0.03, and I am also given that the present value at time t = 0 is equal to 50.42893222.



This is clearly the present value of geometric annuity immediate, so what I formulated the problem as follows:



50.42893222 = 4* [ 1 - ( (1+j)/(1+i) )^20 ] / i - j



50.42893222 = 4* [ 1 - (1+j)^20 / (1.03)^20 ]/0.03 - j



Obviously, finding j is not straightforward, so I was hoping you guys could show me a trick (maybe using the TI BAII Plus or any other way) to solve for the growth rate.



Thanks, in advance for any guidance and/or help,



Best regards,



Paul





How to solve for growth rate in geometric annuities

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor