Some Beginner Questions

jeudi 19 mars 2015

I would like to ask a few questions as a beginner to the world of actuarial science. I’ve done some searching through these forums and have had many questions answered already, but I would really like to receive any information you can offer about my particular situation.



Let me explain my background very briefly. I graduated with undergraduate degrees in Accounting and Economics about 4 years ago. I struggled in my accounting classes but excelled in Economics. After I graduated, I found work in a small accounting firm but I realized I wasn’t happy in the accounting profession. It just never came easy to me and the thought of getting a Master’s in Accountancy and then a CPA made me miserable.



Fast forward to the present, and I am working in an administrative capacity for a small University. The work is not particularly exciting, but luckily it affords me the opportunity to take college classes for free. My brother got me to look into Actuarial Science as a potential career, and so far I've been thrilled by what I've seen.



Here are my questions:



1. What classes should I aim to take? My idea is to take just the relevant math classes to help prepare me for the first two exams, but would the bare minimum in math look bad to employers?



2. I have an acquaintance who is an actuary and he’s informed me that a large portion of his job is programming-oriented and working with software. He recommended I teach myself Visual Basic to at least prove I’m capable in the area of programming. Is this a good idea?



3. How flexible is the entry-level job search? Is there enough opportunity for entry-level jobs that I could take some time and choose where I want to work, or is it competitive enough that I would essentially have to jump on the first offer I get?



4. How would a person of my background (Accounting and Economics) look to a potential employer? Would I even have a shot without getting a major/minor in a math field?



5. I don’t have much passion for insurance or investments--what excites me is more the computer modeling and technical aspects of what Actuaries do. Can I be a successful actuary if I’m more focused on the math/computer side of things?



Thanks for reading, any advice would be greatly appreciated! (And I apologize for such a long first post, but there’s just so much to learn!)





Some Beginner Questions

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor