Why do Actuarial Science Majors Have an Aversion toward Proofs?

jeudi 11 décembre 2014

If this is supposed to be in a different forum, tell me, and I'll move this thread.



Why do many actuarial science majors that I know hate proofs? I've never understood this.



Aren't people in this major actually interested in why something is true as well as how to use a result, rather than just see an example of how a result is used, change some numbers, rinse and repeat?



Or, similarly, on the sole reliance of experts. If the expert says it's true, it has to be true. I would imagine actuarial professors could get very far into a class by just saying something like "here's the formula, it's true" repeatedly and not be questioned at all. I doubt many AS majors even understand what means. Proving that is probably impossible. Understanding how to handle the case would trip up many AS majors if they hadn't seen a problem with that case already.



FTR: This is based on my observations of graduates of U.S. actuarial programs.





Why do Actuarial Science Majors Have an Aversion toward Proofs?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor